Text Replies on iOS
What are Text Replies on iOS?
What countries are supported?
Who is this feature for?
Why isn’t my wireless carrier supported?
Can I text internationally?
What is Nexmo?
My friend uses iMessage; why are my replies sent as SMS?
Why don’t replies sent using my Pebble watch appear inside my iMessage app?
Why might SMS charges apply?
Why can’t I reply to a message with multiple participants (group message)?
Does Pebble save or share the content of my replies, or share who the recipients are?
Types of Information Collected During E-Mail and SMS Account Setup
One of my contacts has multiple numbers, how do I change which number I reply to?
Can I use this feature to respond to other messages (e.g., Facebook Messenger)?
Why does Pebble need access to my phone’s contacts?
How do I fix failed replies?
- Text Replies allow Pebble users on iOS to reply to incoming SMS or iMessages using their voice, emojis, or a canned text response. In order to use Text Replies, users on supported carriers must register their phone number through a simple setup process in Pebble’s mobile app.
What countries are supported?
- Select carriers within the USA (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile).
- All carriers within the UK, Australia, and the Netherlands.
- iPhone users! Android users have been replying to notifications from their Pebble watches for a while, and we're thrilled to finally be able to offer this feature to iPhone users as well!
- In response to feedback from the Pebble community requesting this feature, we have worked hard to overcome iOS limitations by partnering with service providers, enabling us to bring this functionality to our iOS users.
- We’ve announced support for Verizon customers and AT&T postpaid customers.
- A sneak peek of Text Replies is also currently available for US T-Mobile customers, as well as all customers from the UK, Australia, and the Netherlands.
- We are working on adding additional service providers and features in the future.
- US customers will only be able to send texts domestically.
- UK, AU, and NL customers will be able to use Text Replies to send international texts, but the recipient must be within one of those supported countries.
What is Nexmo?
- Nexmo is a third party service that handles the delivery of sms messages to mobile numbers in certain countries, such as the UK, Australia, and the Netherlands.
- To review the Acceptable Use policy, please click here.
- To find out more about Nexmo, please visit their website.
- Text Replies through Verizon will allow Pebble users to reply to incoming SMS or iMessages using voice, canned text response, and emojis.
- At the moment, Text Replies for AT&T are limited to customers on contract with AT&T Wireless.
- Prepaid customers are not able to activate this feature.
- Furthermore, users will not be able to reply to international numbers due to network restrictions.
- Even if the person sends you an iMessage, your reply will be sent and received as an SMS.
- Message replies from your Pebble watch are sent directly through your wireless carrier and therefore message history is not available in the iMessage app.
- Each reply is sent through your wireless carrier in the form of an SMS. Many wireless plans now include free SMS as part of their plans. However, charges may apply for your specific plan; for details please contact your wireless carrier.
- Reliably replying to group messages requires knowledge of who is on the message thread, which is not always provided. We're actively exploring ideas to overcome this – stay tuned!
- The Apple and Android platforms operate a little differently when setting up email and SMS. For Android, we are able to leverage existing authorization technology to integrate both functionalities and no further information is needed from you, other than your consent, to process your E-Mail and SMS text messages on the watch.
- In your Pebble Time mobile app, go to Settings > Text Replies (Sneak Peek) > All Recent Contacts and then select the contact you wish to modify.
- Note: if you wish to add a new mobile number to an existing contact, do so within the iOS Contacts app.
- Not at this time. This feature only allows you to reply to incoming SMS and iMessages.
- The Pebble Time mobile app uses your phone's contacts to identify the person the reply should be sent to.
A number of reasons can cause a failure:
Text Replies requires a data connection–please make sure your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
Please ensure that your Pebble watch is properly paired with your phone and that you can receive notifications.
Please ensure that your wireless account is in good standing and fully active.
Unlink your linked account within the mobile app’s Settings > SMS Preferences > Unlink.
Once you Unlink, force close the Pebble Time mobile app (double press home button, slide the app away) and re-open it. Then re-enable SMS Replies by going to the Pebble Time mobile app’s Settings > SMS Preferences and follow the flow.
If these steps have not resolved your issue, please contact our Support Team.